The Birthing Center is home to approximately 700 births each year. The center features spacious, private labor, delivery and recovery rooms complete with a whirlpool bath and hotel-like accommodations. Don’t forget to visit the web nursery to view photos of our new arrivals. A login is required.
The birth of a baby is a very special time, and our expert staff shares the excitement and strives to offer patients the highest level of care in a family-centered environment. Family-centered service recognizes that each family is unique; that the family is the constant in the child’s life; and that they are the experts on the child’s abilities and needs.
Birthing Center Offerings
- Expanded labor, delivery, and recovery suites with private whirlpool baths
- Home-like postpartum rooms
- A family focused environment
- Board certified obstetricians/gynecologists, pediatricians, and family practitioners
- Registered nurses trained in all areas of labor and mother-baby nursing
- Board certified lactation consultant
- Nurses certified in neonatal resuscitation and CPR
- 24-hour epidural anesthesia available by anesthesiologists
- Rooming-in option for newborns
- 24-hour "warm-line" for new parents
The Birthing Center offers a free, 6-week course for expectant mothers to help them prepare for the birth of their baby. Mothers can register by calling 336-238-4770. Topics include:
- Introduction to childbirth
- What to expect during labor and delivery
- Breathing and relaxation techniques
- Care of the newborn
- Post-partum education
- Breastfeeding information
- Complete tour of the birthing center
- Infant CPR
Preparing a young child for the arrival of a new baby brother or sister is a focus of the educational process. Special sessions are held each quarter to prepare young children for the new arrival. The sessions are held on Saturdays and include videos, refreshments and a tour of the Birthing Center.
Expectant mothers will save valuable time when arriving for the baby’s delivery if the pre-registration process is completed. This can be done any time during pregnancy. Bring the registration form and insurance information to the Admitting Office located off the Emergency Department lobby. Once in labor, patients arriving at the hospital will need to check by Admitting. Registration information will be verified, and patients are taken directly to Labor and Delivery.
Tiffeny A. Carroll, MD
Lloyd D. Lohr, MD
Joseph A. Niner
Ameigh V. Worley