Patient safety experts at Wake Forest Baptist Health Lexington Medical Center urge you to keep an up to date list of all your medications and supplements that you take, and share this with your doctor and other health care providers. This list is extremely important when you are hospitalized to help prevent possible drug interactions.
- Make your health care team aware of all of your medications including prescription and over the counter drugs, supplements, vitamins and herbs.
- Tell your health care team about any medication allergies or side effects.
- Give close family members a copy of your medication list.
- Keep the list handy –in your purse, wallet, and car –for access in an emergency.
- Update the list as needed with information of how often you take the medication and how you take the medication.
- Ask questions if you are unsure about the medications you are taking.
For a form to utilize for your own list, visit the U.S. Food and Drug Administration.